Friday, October 31, 2014

Update :)

Here’s  a basic update from the past week….

Saturday, October 25th-  I left for Florida in the Montero (packed to the ceiling with many items for the base and orphanage in Haiti).  I drove for 12 hours the first day and stopped for the night in Georgia.  There were no problems with the Montero –it drove great!  Prayers were felt for sure since I did not get tired or have any difficulty with the drive.

The rest area in Virginia- on the way to Florida in the Montero
Sunday, October 26th-  I drove a few more hours in the morning- ending near Jacksonville, Florida where I had a meeting after church with a wonderful family.  He has recently been to Haiti and visited Life is Wealth Orphanage and wanted to talk about the Nanny Program there (among other things Haiti).  We had a great lunch meeting and I am excited about continuing this relationship and potentially visiting the church again in the future.  I then drove the rest of the way- ending my day at a hotel near Fort Lauderdale airport.

Monday, October 27th-  In the morning my daughter and I dropped the Montero at the shipping company in West Palm Beach.  Then I had a few hours with her before she had to drop me back at my hotel room and go to work.  The hotel was nice and I was able to relax later in the day by the pool and complete some paperwork and reports.
The poolside table I sat at to do my paperwork at the hotel- VERY relaxing
Tuesday, October 28th-  I got to the airport by 4:15 am. for a 6:15 am. flight to Haiti (arriving at 8).  Upon arriving in Haiti we went directly to the base to drop off the luggage and then headed over to the orphanage for a meeting with Pastor Yves and to see the children.  In the evening we met with James, unpacked and organized/distributed the items I brought with me.
Some of the orphans after school- They look so adorable in their uniforms!

Our dogs at the Hearts United with Haiti base
Wednesday, October 29th-  Redgi and I went to Bas-Citronniers for a surprise visit, to pay the teachers, and to observe the project.  It was good to go with and see the school first-hand, meet the teachers, and catch up with the committee.  I was EXTREMELY impressed with the way things are running there. The school was very professional and the children were learning.  I observed most of the teachers and took notes on what they were teaching.  We even arrived in time for the mid-morning food so we got to talk with the cooks and see what type of food is served (they get one hot meal per day at school).  Even the teachers were eating with the children!  What a great place and what a great vision they have for it.  I will return next week when I have more time to meet with the committee and begin to plan (with them) for the future!
Some children (not from our school) walking to school as we drove along the river to Bas-Citronniers (carrying their school shoes so they don't get dirty)
Thursday, October 30th-  We picked up two of my good friends at the airport and were able to visit some places together where Haitian crafts are made.  First we took them to Croix des Bouquets where metal artists create beautiful art from 55 gallon metal drums.  They pound, cut and mold the metal into different pieces.  It is one of my favorite places in Haiti to visit and it was nice to show my friends some of the beauty of Haiti.  After lunch we went to visit the Apparent Project and get a tour of their facilities.  This is where many different crafts are made by Haitian nationals- thus providing jobs and income so that parents do not need to place their children into orphanages or suffer other effects of poverty.  The main craft item is hand-made jewelry which they sell in their boutique or market abroad.  I have visited before, but never actually went “behind the scenes” so that was wonderful!  To see the men and women who are making the items and who benefit from what this organization is doing was encouraging.
The metal work at Croix des Bouquets... so amazing to watch and to see what they do!

Beads at the Apparent Project in Port au Prince. 
Plans for the next few days are to explore/enjoy some of the beauty of this country.  These friends have come to help with the water purification system at Life is Wealth and the rest of their group comes on Sunday.  We wanted a few days before their group to see the “other side of Haiti” because so often groups come and have little time for exploring- they only have so many days to do their ministry.  So, this is a real blessing to get this time to share Haiti with them and show them the hope, the future, and the BEAUTY here!  There is so much that is positive in Haiti and I love when people get to see that!  We are blessed!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment