Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Hurricane Matthew


I posted this on our facebook page this morning but it bears repeating here!
                   (posted 10/4/16 at 5:30 EST- a few hours before landfall)

        I am awake and can not sleep (maybe 2 hours last night). For now I have lost contact with our Haitian staff staying at the Center and mission base (I am stateside right now- flew out Friday to prepare for our fundraising banquet on Oct. 16th). Last I heard from anyone personally it was getting VERY VERY windy and scary in Carrefour with some heavy rain starting. Reports and personal accounts we are hearing from the southern peninsula do not sound good. And all these are from people who have internet access and made it to safe shelter. Oh how my heart aches for those who are in homes that are not as stable.
        One of the people I know on facebook had this posted on her wall and I thought it was worth copying and posting here. I have already received FIVE calls from those wanting to help post-hurricane. We will keep you posted about the true needs as we know them after hearing from our staff and community.
         Here is the post: (sorry so long- not sure of the original author)

"Hello friends,

        I am asking you to please please please consider this when our media begins to cover the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew, especially when it comes to sending aid.

        I can't share how much it is pressing in my heart right now. I have seen firsthand how what we intend for good can do so much harm. I could right now contact many different people with many different organizations that have (rather wet) feet right now on the ground in Haiti. TRUSTWORTHY, and accountable people. People who work directly, EVERY DAY, to help the business men and women who have to struggle to make an income from their goods because the goods market is flooded constantly by first-world subsidy. People who try to help laborers find employment when the world's volunteers flood the market with workers. **That is not a criticism of givers, by any means.** It is a fact that Haiti is about to become media fodder in the next few hours and days, and that there really ARE ways to make a MASSIVE impact for good.

        Please please please get in contact with someone who you know who can account for every penny, who can tell you the names of the *HAITIAN* people on their payroll, who can tell you the names of the boroughs they serve. Some Faith based and some simply Faithful. And if you don't know someone like that, please message me for suggestions.

        Thank you for every ounce of compassion you all have. I have an astounding group of friends. Most of my friends share compassion, and I know look for ways to help when they see need. Pray for the people of Haiti, as their country undergoes flooding of many kinds. May we all come out of it renewed."

        As I said, we will keep you posted when we hear from our staff on the ground. Until then, this is BAD folks. There is massive damage and there is going to be MUCH need in a country that already had serious issues. May the aide that pours in be administered responsibly and may it truly HELP those who need it most!  -Crystal

(above photo taken May 2014- We personally know people living just a few shelters down from this one in the foreground. We pray they are safe today)

(below photos are to give perspective of what many live like so you can realize the severity of this situation)








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting, Crystal. I am not on Facebook and I have been praying for the people of Haiti. Having just been there with you, it is hard to watch the news. My heart goes out to our friends in Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cara- Your prayers are appreciated greatly. Love you guys!

      Delete