Friday, January 25, 2013

Trip so far...

Sorry I haven't kept you up to date- the computer is act really really stupid so I can't get online.  Here's the basics...

Arrived in Miami Tues. to a bunch of missed phone calls and texts from my friend who I was to meet in Miami and trave to Haiti with.  Bottom line, she missed her plane and came in on Wed.  Then, prior to leaving I had forgotten Monday was the holiday so I had hardly any cash to travel with.  I had to have money wired by the treasurer for HU (to Haiti) so we needed to leave the airport when Redgi got me and go in search of a moneygram place that had enough money and a short enough line to get through quickly as we travelled to the wedding of two friends of mine here.  We made it to the wedding (IT WAS AMAZING) and then afterward went straight home and crashed!  I was exhausted cause it was about 9 pm. after being awake since 1:30 am.

Wed:  We woke and went directly to the airport after having a planning meeting.  Then off for a sandwich at the National gas station (like a subway) and to an important annual meeting with the organization providing the fortified rice for the orphanage.  (it's called Manna Pack rice and has dehydrated vegtables and vitamins in with the rice)  They have been providing this for one year so it was time.  We met Pastor for this meeting and it was about 40 min. north of the city- just outside Croix de Bouquets.  Since we were that direction we decided to go the rest of the way to Mirbilais and visit the girls who had left the orphanage a while ago.  It was soooooo good to see them.  I went in August but not since.  They are all in school and looked very good.  They have moved houses and are living with their mother instead of father.  She was a very nice lady.  They got to show us their school and we got to spend some great time with them.  Then, on the way home (about 2 hours) we stopped to see the girls at the orphanage.  My friend sponsors one of the girls there and has known her since summer of 2010.  It was a BEAUTIFUL reunion.  They had a little "catching up" time and I got to spend some time with the rest of the children.  Friday (today) we will return and spend most of the day.  Then, dinner and home (left the house at 8:30 am. and returned at about 8:30 pm.)

Thurs:  We had a kind of relaxing morning (my friend and I) because Redgi went to a funeral.  Peterson's mom died about a week or so ago.  We had stopped to pay our respects the night before so I feel there was a need to go to the funeral.  This also gave Redgi some time to spend with Haitians and not have to feel he had to check on me or stay with me.  I cleaned around the house and did some organizing of donations from the last group.  After Redgi came we went to visit an orphanage my friend's organization supports here in Carrefour. It was a beautiful place and I was very happy to meet some of the people I have heard a lot about.  My daughter, Emily knows this place and these people.  They said they remember her too.  We left there and went to have a meeting with Pastor Cornet and then off to find some groceries/supplies for the house.  Ordered four more mattresses for the bunk beds so we will be ready for the March group coming.  :)  Then, Dr. Carl came to visit because we were BLESSED to be able to bring 36 choir robes down for the group he is part of- a choral group.  They are having a practice on Sunday afternoon and we will get to spend some time with them, but he was extremely grateful for the gift from a church in Michigan.  I was blessed that my friend could bring them with her all the way from Michigan to North Carolina to Haiti!  Now this group will look more professional and will feel special.  This is what it's all about!!  I also got some good time with Dr. Carl, his wife and their son-- talking about possibilities for the future with medical groups coming to serve with our ministry. 

Well, that's about it so far.  Today we will go to the college to pay Redgi's tuition so he can start this next session the first week of February.  We will then go to the orphanage to meet with Pastor about the future and some ideas we have, to do new bios and photos of each orphan and to meet with a well driller.  LONG day ahead.  But, then after that we should have some time to rest and relax a bit cause my "to do" list will be MUCH shorter.  :)  :)  :) 

SORRY- photos will not load- you can see them on the facebook page for Hearts United.... log onto your facebook and search for Hearts United with Haiti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment